|Posted by Sligo Creek Education Foundation on June 10, 2017 at 3:40 PM|
The Sligo Creek Education Foundation had a great year, thanks to the support of our school community! The Foundation was established in the 2014-15 school year to enrich the learning experience at Sligo Creek, and this year was our second year of funding projects that support the school.
We are pleased to celebrate our accomplishments for the year:
• Providing a grant for an Outdoor Classroom Coordinator to develop curriculum and expand programming, which connects every student at Sligo Creek with the Outdoor Classroom (and many students at SSIMS as well!). We are very grateful to Amy DeMouy for serving as our first Outdoor Classroom Coordinator. Students in grades K-3 participated in an edible garden program where they planted, watered and harvested produce that became the food for a salad party at the end of the year. Fourth graders planted a Three Sisters garden with sunchokes, pole beans and squash, connecting to the curriculum on Native Americans, and fifth grader planted a new strawberry patch. Students measured plant growth, worked with an artist to draw parts of a plant, learned about soil and watched native pollinators forage in the gardens. These are just a few of the many ways Sligo Creek students used our own living laboratory – the Outdoor Classroom – to enrich the learning experience this year. A special thanks to Amy and parent volunteer Monica Nermark for their tireless efforts to significantly increase the student’s experience in the Outdoor Classroom this year!
• Supporting the second year of the Sligo Creek Newspaper Club, which met weekly and published a school-wide quarterly newspaper. Fifty students in 3rd to 5th grades participated, taking ownership of the paper by deciding what topics to include in each edition, gaining collaboration skills by working together on articles, and benefiting from real-world writing experience. “In my years of teaching, I can’t think of a better forum for students learning to write – on their topics, self-motivated, and with a purpose,” says Stacy Miller, Sligo Creek Reading Specialist and Newspaper Club leader. The students also benefited from parent connections and has several guest speakers: Robert Klemko of Sport Illustrated and Robert Yoon of CNN, and a visit to the Washington Post. A special thanks to Sligo Creek staff who made the Newspaper Club possible—Stacy Miller, Amy DeMouy and Jeanne Johnston—and parent volunteers Betsy Mendelsohn, Alison Jovanovic, and Sheila Daw.
• Funding an afterschool 5th Grade Boys Mentoring Programs. The boys program brought Blair High School basketball players to Sligo Creek after school this winter to provide sport skills and positive role models to students. A special thanks to Marc James for leading the program.
• Funding an in school 2nd Grade Girls Mentoring Program. The girls mentoring program occurred during lunch with a focus on science, technology and engineering where students were able to build, experiment and explore a variety of STEM topics. A special thanks to Elizabeth Fischer and Chrystal Brown for making this program possible!
• Holding funds for 5th Grade Activities, including fundraising for the annual trip to Philadelphia attended by the entire class, a 5th grade social and parent sponsored end-of-year trips to Canada and Williamsburg. Special thanks to Nichole Bennet, Alison Jovanovic, Erin Johansson, and Jessica Mahalingappa.
These programs were only possible because of our successful fundraising. Our Supper Clubs and Read-a-Thon raised nearly $8,000 to support the general programs of the Education Foundation. The Outdoor Classroom raised $2,000 through grants and donations and 5th grade families raised $8,000. Thank you for your support! We want to thank our volunteers, who helped to make this year a success.
A special thanks to our Board members: Alison Jovanovic, Chris Wacker, Anu Aiyar, Amy Kenney and Greg Ewing; 2nd grade STEM club shoppers: Melissa Hill, Roxane Holton, Laura Farr, and Matt Cousineau; parents helping with translation: Matt Cousineau, Chantal Rigauld, Paulo Acree, and Manoli. In addition, we want to thank parents who helped support our work this year: Nargiza Polvanova, Tate Tiop, Elise Stigliano, and Meg Clabault (and apologies if I missed someone – please let us know so we can recognize you!)
The Foundation is beginning to plan for next year, and we need parent involvement!
• We are actively recruiting e new board members for next year, in particular we are seeking a treasurer.
• We are looking for volunteers to help organize Supper Clubs, write grants, and help with fundraising.
• We will continue to coordinate closely with the PTA on our fundraising and events to mutually support each other and the school.
Thanks for a great year! If you have any questions or are interested in learning more about the Education Foundation, please visit our website (www.sligocreekef.org) or contact Amy Kenney ([email protected]).