What is the Sligo Creek Education Foundation?
Parent volunteers created the Sligo Creek Education Foundation in 2014 to raise additional funds to support Sligo Creek Elementary School. The Education Foundation is a not-for-profit organization focusing on long-term programs and projects. We work closely with our partners—the PTA and school leadership —to identify ways to enrich the educational experience.
The Foundation was born out of the successful fundraising efforts of the Outdoor Classroom. As we researched other education foundations in Montgomery County, we realized that a foundation can be a great asset to the school. The 2015-16 school year is our first year of funding projects and we are excited to begin our work!
Priorities for the 2017-18 School Year
Accomplishments during 2016-17 School Year
- Supporting the second year of the Sligo Creek Newspaper Club, which published a school-wide quarterly newspaper under the leadership of Stacy Miller.
- Funding an Outdoor Classroom Coordinator to work with teachers on lessons and planning.
- Enabling the inaugural year of the 2nd grade girls STEM club.
- Granting the development of a boys after-school mentoring program.
- We will be recruiting at least one new board member for next year
- We are looking for volunteers to help organize Supper Clubs, write grants, maintain our website and help with fundraising.
- We will continue to coordinate closely with the PTA on our fundraising and events to mutually support each other and the school.
Join our email list
We work with local restaurants to make dining out and raising money easy. You get a night off cooking and cleaning, and the restaurant donates a portion of your dinner bill to the Education Foundation.
CAVA in downtown Silver Spring
on September 12th from 6:00-10:00pm
Chipotle in downtown Silver Spring
on October 18th from 4:00-8:00pm
McGinty's Beer Dinner and Auction in downtown Silver Spring on February 28th from 7:00-9:00
Support the Foundation: Donate Today
If you would like to make the priorities a reality, we welcome donations. Send a check to school in an envelope marked Sligo Creek Education Foundation or click the button below: